Sunday, January 30, 2011

#020 04 Tybee Pier - Damage Control

Yeah!  We're finally back working on the Dixie Donut!  Tonight dispare and repair!

The question is: rebuild or repair?  This is for an AP award, so it must be good.  Most of the structure looks ok so maybe we can just straighten it up.  Its worth an evening's work to see.

 We'll need some toothpicks and glue.  I keep a supply of ketchup cups and a big bottle of round toothpicks in the supply drawer to my immediate right.

 Upon further investigation, we find that the top of the pier is racked slightly, meaning that it twists from right to left and is warped.  Not good.

 I carefully removed all of the loose or almost loose boards and pilings.

 The pier won't sit level on the table.  We'll have to unwarp it.   Mr. Sulu, unwarp factor 5.

 I'm going to use my handy dandy weights that were given to me by the legendary Popsicle Rick as a birthday present.  I can't tell you how often I use these things!  There tin cans with Sakrete in them.  Heavy and very cheap.

 I'll also need the alcohol sprayer.  You can't use water because the glue is water based.  This penetrates the wood better.

 I soak the pier in alcohol and get it really wet.  This way the model gets flexible.

Then we'll take the weights and press the model down to flatten it out.  I hope this works!  If not, there will be a pier building party next weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Scott,

    I hope that you'll able to salvage the pier and I'm glad to see that you're getting good use out of your weights! I'll be soon using mine as I took your advice and ordered 6 packs (36 sticks) of Micro Engineering Code 83 track from TrainMasters today that I'll be using in the alcove expansion along with the Walthers turnouts (bought 8 today - ouch!)

    Loving watching your progress on you blog and miss your scowling face (grin) at the Friday night session!

    Rick

    ReplyDelete