Sunday, December 20, 2009

A Southern Caboose

I need to appropriate a Southern wood caboose. There is a great post on the web about Southern cabooses...

http://www.jacksonvilleterminal.com/cabooses.htm

In 1922 Southern built the new standard wood caboose with four windows and a center cupola numbered: X2426-2875. Some of these cars remained in local service into the early 1960’s.

It appears that Funaro & Camerlengo has this caboose. I've built their other kits and know that it will take quite a bit of time to build it. Really, I'd rather find one that is ready to run. I can scratchbuild it as easily as build the kit and I need an AP caboose anyway so that is an option if I can find decals.

Picture of the caboose X2710

I could make an argument that one of the older cabooses was still around for service on this branch, like X2156 which is preserved here at the Southeastern Railroad Museum. It was built in 1915 and could serve as a base for a model.

http://southern-railway.railfan.net/sry/cabs/cab01.jpg

I coudn't find one on Ebay.

Funaro and Carmelengo do have the right caboose, and its $33.95 for the kit. Argh!

I think, in order to keep costs low, that I'll just find a production wood caboose and reletter it Dixie Central. That would be easier.


No comments:

Post a Comment